"So,
why did You bring us back to this small town on the Mekong--out of the
main stream and far from parts and needed supplies?" This is a question
I have asked God many times as we have faced difficulties and problems
these past two years...
Well,
the main reason, we felt, was so that we could be here for needy people
from across the river--believers and villagers, farmers and friends.
This week that reason was once again borne out as one of our friends
showed up with two of his family members in need of medical attention.
We were able to help them get settled into a provincial hospital where
tests were done and medicines prescribed. This morning I took them to
the border where they returned home.
Last
night we talked and prayed. And then again this morning. We laughed
and talked and prayed some more. We talked about our friend's 6 months
in prison. We laughed at his mother-in-law's persistence and
stubborn-ness--at how she bothered the prison officials and begged for
our friend's release, at how she, a simple villager who hardly speaks
Lao went all the way to the vice-governor to get the shackles removed
from her son-in-law's ankles..
What
a shot in the arm! I saw pictures of Christmas celebrations in seven
villages. I heard reports of former persecutors coming to those
celebrations, of changes of heart. I gently asked if this or that group
of believers was still meeting--afraid that I might be disappointed.
But in every case they were still meeting! They have grown. Yes, some
have fallen away and there has been discouragement. But as I read in
Psalm 135 this morning, I was able to assure them that "the Lord will
vindicate his people and have compassion on his servants." Just like
that persistent widow in Luke 18 who finally gets justice from a corrupt
judge, we can rest assured that God hears and understands our every
need--including our need for a shot of encouragement every now and then!
No comments:
Post a Comment