The passion of Truth-Seekers in New Delhi is to see the caste system truly eradicated from India. Like many westerners I was not aware of how deeply-rooted it still is. It was an eye-opening experience to see individuals from many different faiths gathering together in the unity of the One who claimed to be the way, the truth, the life.
Before that we visited the slums of Mumbai and Pune with social workers from the Hindustani Covenant Church. We saw thousands of children, gathered in cramped little rooms, given the opportunity to learn to read. The hope, we were told, was to persuade parents that education will pay out more in the long run than having their children pick through the dumps to recycle plastic and metal.
Then we visited the brothels. Many of the women had been sold by their own family members. The streets were dingy and squalid. I was humbled as I saw the love of the workers--one, herself a redeemed prostitute--seeking to rescue women from their miserable circumstances.
I was reminded how much I take the love of my family for granted. I was reminded that Jesus didn't shy away from the outcasts and prostitutes. Yes, the circumstances were depressing, but the compassion of the Hindustani Covenant church shone brightly.
As we ended our trip in southern India, I was delighted to learn that what I took for legend about St. Thomas and his days there is considered part of local history--including the hill where he was killed.
It was inspiring to see the dedication of the staff of India for Christ Ministries as they handle hundreds of children in multiple settings. We watched enthusiastic children play, sing and practice their English. Where in America would I ever see such respectful, enthusiastic kids singing their hearts out? Maybe we need to have our privileges taken away so we can learn a little gratitude?
No comments:
Post a Comment